This page will feature part time and full time job opportunities and a list of students seeking jobs as they are received
Senior Product Designer/Creative Director –
Location: Los Angeles, California
NOVA of California is expanding to better meet the needs of our customers. We are looking for a talented Creative Director as we embark on an ambitious re-branding based on our vision and work to dominate in the modern lighting space.
The Product Coordinator will breathe new life into this 93-year old company and will have a powerful and lasting impact on the brand. NOVA of California is the oldest, continuously operating lamp company in the United States and was a key player in the modernist movement in the 1950’s and 60’s.
In the first year, the successful Creative Director will:
Bring 80 original California Modern designs through the product development process, based on a clear brand vision, in our factories in China and Mexico.
Learn all aspects of our manufacturing process including metal fabrication, ceramics, wood working, glass blowing and finishing so you build world-class product.
Build relationships with factory owners and engineers in China, Mexico and the U.S. to open doors for innovative processes and materials to be used in new designs.
Pull together beautiful materials, finishing and fabric palettes for the new design season
Understand the big picture, prioritize strategically and utilize key personnel in design, drafting, purchasing and sales to move exciting product through to completion
The Company – The Opportunity
NOVA is an innovative lighting design and manufacturing company with a California edge. We are expanding our business to better serve our customers and create world-class modern lighting
The Creative Director we are seeking is looking to make her/his mark andhave a major impact on a design-driven company with a legacy.
The Senior Designer is responsible for developing original and creative lighting, home accessory and accent furniture designs that maintain, reinforce and expand the NOVA of California brand. The selected candidate must oversee all design processes from setting strategic direction to conceptualization, through development, coordination, documentation and production. The Creative Director will direct a team of in-house designers, freelance designers and product coordinators in Mexico, China and India.
Company: NOVA of California (www.novaofcalifornia.com) was founded in 1923 as innovator and maker of contemporary lighting and home décor. We sell many of the top retailers in the U.S., Canada, Latin America and Australia. We offer original designs with integrity and we are growing internationally in both recognition and in distribution.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Study and research market, competition, technology innovations and consumer trends to build and plan the company’s design strategy and merchandise assortment utilizing trend/mood boards.
- Research at design trade shows and retail stores for inspiration and to keep abreast of design and market trends
- Work with management team to better understand current and future merchandise assortment needs of key clients
- Develop lighting, home décor and furniture design concepts including drawings, technical drawings, 3D renderings and references
- Communicate and prepare all necessary design specifications for vendors
- Conceptualize and develop lighting/home décor/furniture that is suitable for mass manufacture based on manufacturing constraints
- Travel to Asia and Mexico to visit lighting and furniture trade shows and visit factories to develop new collections and review pre-production samples
- Collaborate with key accounts to develop proprietary designs
- University degree in industrial design, architecture or fine arts required
- Merchandising and product development experience in the home furnishings industry and/or fashion industry
- Knowledge of the home furnishings market in terms of retail distribution channels, hospitality, and designer trade, eCommerce and/or lighting showroom markets in terms of trend, price, competition, and norms.
- Candidates with a second language have an advantage (Spanish, Mandarin)
- Candidates with relevant product development portfolios will be reviewed
- Exceptional creative skills in form, materials, style and merchandising
- Ability to tell compelling merchandising stories that are trend relevant
- Strong presentation and rendering skills
- Highly organized and ability to multi task
- Fluency in all Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks, AutoCAD, and 3DMax/Rhino a plus
- It is crucial that the candidate have a discerning eye for fashion, finishing, contemporary lighting, home décor and furniture design and retail trends
- Thorough knowledge of furniture building materials, construction and processes
- Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes, especially metals
- Understanding of basic electronics and LED technology is a plus
- Prototyping skills
- Travel experience is a significant asset
- The individual we are seeking must have home décor experience in the retail furniture or hospitality realm, as a product designer, merchandiser, buyer or interior designer.
- A knowledge of manufacturing processes for mass production, common sense, business intelligence, visual display and merchandising and trend spotting skills are critical to this role.
Job Details: Full-time position / Salary based on candidate
To apply: Send your cover letter, CV and portfolio (max 5MB) by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Home Furnishings Design
Ariail & Associates, a retained executive search firm, has been engaged by Flexsteel Industries, Inc. to procure a Director of Home Furnishings Design. The successful candidate will have extensive design experience in stationary and motion upholstery. Case goods product development exposure would be helpful. This individual will produce original sketches and designs as well as supervise a staff of designers and CAD technicians. They will work on a collegial basis with marketing and merchandising. Travel with the merchandising and sales team as well as the Asian sourcing groupwould be required. This position is located at the corporate office in Dubuque, Iowa. Dubuque is a town of 60,000, three hours driving distance from Chicago. Flexsteel is one of the most profitable, stable companies in the industry. They can offer an excellent salary, bonus and corporate benefits.
Retail Top Talent is an executive search firm specializing in the retail and wholesale industries. We are looking for a furniture designer for a company based in the Southwest. The ideal candidate would have 3-6 years experience designing furniture for a major brand. This is not a freelance position and requires relocation. This company is established and growing and looking for designers in kitchen, bath, dining and living room furniture. Overseas travel is a plus. Must be able to take an idea from concept to finished product. Must be highly collaborative and creative. Must be skilled in AutoCAD. This product designer will be responsible for expanding their current and future product lines. All interested candidates should e mail their resume to email@example.com along with a portfolio or samples of their work. Salary commensurate with work experience.
Color and Design Manager
Sherwin Williams, Greensboro, NC
Web site job link to reply to: https://sherwin.taleo.net/careersection/10/jobdetail.ftl?job=15000GVZ&lang=en#.Vo_BUmy-Tdo.link
Responsibilities of the Color and Design Manager include the following:
• Manage the color and design programs for the Product Finishes Division to achieve industry leadership in the focus markets served by the Global Color and Design Center. Develop and execute color and design marketing projects that support the field selling organization in growing sales.
• Manage the GCDC color and design center staff, studio, and related programs and projects.
• Actively target and develop relationships with furniture designers, kitchen cabinet designers and the design staff of other manufacturers served by the Product Finishes Division. Convert these design professionals to Sherwin-Williams colors and finishing systems, resulting in increased sales growth for the Division.
• Enhance the leadership position of Sherwin-Williams within the markets served by the GCDC with color design and marketing services, and selling tools.
• Work closely with the Color Marketing and Design Department of The Americas Group to stay abreast of national and global color and style trends. Interpret and apply these trends for the Product Finishes market segments, resulting in effective color and style guidance for the Product Finishes selling teams and customers.
• Work closely with the GCDC Color Stylist Technical Team to stay informed of new finishing styles and techniques and to jointly develop new color systems in response to broader industry trends.
• Maintain leading edge awareness and expertise of the color technologies and trends as they relate to the focus markets of the Product Finishes Division.
• Create and deliver color and design presentations for Product Finishes customers.
• Educate customers on color and design direction for their own particular focus market, including trends, new colors, techniques, substrates, new technologies and application processes that will help the customer be more competitive and gain market share.
• Make color palate assessments and recommendations for customers as requested.
• Work directly with product designers and manufacturers to create custom designed, state of the art colors and finish systems for products imported and manufactured globally and domestically using Sherwin-Williams technologies and coatings.
• Manage project prioritization and communication with the Product Finishes marketing and sales teams.
• Develop and manage the internal communication plan for the GCDC, including content for the Selling Resources Community on Connections, breakouts and booths at the National Sales Meeting, and training presentations for facility managers and sales reps.
• Coordinate with the Color Stylist Technical Team to develop finishing system trend panels and displays for the Residential Furniture Spring & Fall Markets as well as the Las Vegas Furniture Market twice yearly.
• Explain and demonstrate the GCDC’s many capabilities and value added services with regard to color, finish and design expertise, to prospective and current customers, as well as to Product Finishes internal selling teams.
Additional dimensions of this position include:
• Generates sales and profits by providing value-added services to external and internal customers.
• Impacts competitive edge over other paint companies and design firms offering similar services.
• Provides services related to color marketing and design initiatives in support of the Product Finishes overall marketing strategy.
• Increase productivity through the use of computer skills and new technology.
• Researches and implements cost effective solutions to benefit operations and continue competitive improvement.
• Enhances company image by producing high quality and high value professional services.
• Uses computer technology to continually identify opportunities for productivity improvement.
• Direct control of developing productive relationships with product designers.
• Direct control over the distribution of color tools and product information as well as other marketing materials to product design professionals.
• Direct control of planning and conducting educational seminars for product design professionals.
• Direct control of expenses relating to daily activities and special events with manager’s approval.
• Direct control of partnerships with Product Finishes marketing and selling teams, facilitating the exchange of sales leads.
• Minimum of 5 years related work experience
• Color and design experience in a home furnishing market and/or other industry
• Experience and background directly related to wood finishing
• Experience and knowledge of paints and coatings industry
• Bachelor's degree in design