This page will feature part time and full time job opportunities and a list of students seeking jobs as they are received
RISD Assistant/Associate Professor Opportunity
Position Description: The Department of Furniture Design in the Division of Architecture and Design invites applications for a full-time faculty appointment, at the rank of
Assistant/Associate Professor to commence fall 2017.
Rhode Island School of Design recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, scholarship, professional practice, or service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The department seeks candidates who demonstrate excellence in the field of furniture and object design. The applicant should have the ability to support links between idea generation, design development, and the making process using hand, industrial and digital fabrication tools, technologies and processes applied to a wide range of materials. We seek individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences who will add to the rich mix of exploration supporting the collegial environment that defines our department. Rank will be dependent on professional status and teaching experience.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Candidates with a Master’s Degree or equivalent and a minimum of three years of experience teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level are preferred, although professional equivalencies may be considered. Ideal candidates will be actively engaged in the international design world and have a solid understanding of making. While rigorous dedication to teaching and student development is paramount, candidates must also possess a strong ability to achieve ongoing distinction in their own professional practice. Ideal candidates should have strong leadership skills along with the ability and experience to guide graduate students through the completion of their thesis. Ideal applicants should demonstrate proficiency in drawing, model making, prototyping, CAD and presentation, knowledge of production techniques and the evolving state of professional practice and should inspire students to develop a unique personal design direction.
The ability to lead research and partnered projects, to curate and develop exhibitions and contribute to the social value of design is highly desirable.
The department contributes to contemporary design education through a pedagogy that unifies thinking and making via the notion of F.O.R.M. – furniture, objects, research and materials. With excellent studio facilities for wood, metal, upholstery, materials research, design and drawing, the ideal candidate should be able to support students through the process of creating highly resolved work from concept to finished object.
Rhode Island School of Design is an undergraduate and graduate college of art and design with approximately 2,400 graduate and undergraduate students. RISD supports faculty professional practice with sabbaticals, pre-critical review leave, conference funds, and professional development grants.RISD has a critical review process, which is very similar to the tenure process. For more information about RISD, please visit www.risd.edu.
RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Deadline for Full Consideration:
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. Candidates who submit their materials before January 8, 2017 are assured full consideration.
Link to Apply Online:
Director of Home Furnishings Design
Ariail & Associates, a retained executive search firm, has been engaged by Flexsteel Industries, Inc. to procure a Director of Home Furnishings Design. The successful candidate will have extensive design experience in stationary and motion upholstery. Case goods product development exposure would be helpful. This individual will produce original sketches and designs as well as supervise a staff of designers and CAD technicians. They will work on a collegial basis with marketing and merchandising. Travel with the merchandising and sales team as well as the Asian sourcing groupwould be required. This position is located at the corporate office in Dubuque, Iowa. Dubuque is a town of 60,000, three hours driving distance from Chicago. Flexsteel is one of the most profitable, stable companies in the industry. They can offer an excellent salary, bonus and corporate benefits.
Retail Top Talent is an executive search firm specializing in the retail and wholesale industries. We are looking for a furniture designer for a company based in the Southwest. The ideal candidate would have 3-6 years experience designing furniture for a major brand. This is not a freelance position and requires relocation. This company is established and growing and looking for designers in kitchen, bath, dining and living room furniture. Overseas travel is a plus. Must be able to take an idea from concept to finished product. Must be highly collaborative and creative. Must be skilled in AutoCAD. This product designer will be responsible for expanding their current and future product lines. All interested candidates should e mail their resume to email@example.com along with a portfolio or samples of their work. Salary commensurate with work experience.
Color and Design Manager
Sherwin Williams, Greensboro, NC
Web site job link to reply to: https://sherwin.taleo.net/careersection/10/jobdetail.ftl?job=15000GVZ&lang=en#.Vo_BUmy-Tdo.link
Responsibilities of the Color and Design Manager include the following:
• Manage the color and design programs for the Product Finishes Division to achieve industry leadership in the focus markets served by the Global Color and Design Center. Develop and execute color and design marketing projects that support the field selling organization in growing sales.
• Manage the GCDC color and design center staff, studio, and related programs and projects.
• Actively target and develop relationships with furniture designers, kitchen cabinet designers and the design staff of other manufacturers served by the Product Finishes Division. Convert these design professionals to Sherwin-Williams colors and finishing systems, resulting in increased sales growth for the Division.
• Enhance the leadership position of Sherwin-Williams within the markets served by the GCDC with color design and marketing services, and selling tools.
• Work closely with the Color Marketing and Design Department of The Americas Group to stay abreast of national and global color and style trends. Interpret and apply these trends for the Product Finishes market segments, resulting in effective color and style guidance for the Product Finishes selling teams and customers.
• Work closely with the GCDC Color Stylist Technical Team to stay informed of new finishing styles and techniques and to jointly develop new color systems in response to broader industry trends.
• Maintain leading edge awareness and expertise of the color technologies and trends as they relate to the focus markets of the Product Finishes Division.
• Create and deliver color and design presentations for Product Finishes customers.
• Educate customers on color and design direction for their own particular focus market, including trends, new colors, techniques, substrates, new technologies and application processes that will help the customer be more competitive and gain market share.
• Make color palate assessments and recommendations for customers as requested.
• Work directly with product designers and manufacturers to create custom designed, state of the art colors and finish systems for products imported and manufactured globally and domestically using Sherwin-Williams technologies and coatings.
• Manage project prioritization and communication with the Product Finishes marketing and sales teams.
• Develop and manage the internal communication plan for the GCDC, including content for the Selling Resources Community on Connections, breakouts and booths at the National Sales Meeting, and training presentations for facility managers and sales reps.
• Coordinate with the Color Stylist Technical Team to develop finishing system trend panels and displays for the Residential Furniture Spring & Fall Markets as well as the Las Vegas Furniture Market twice yearly.
• Explain and demonstrate the GCDC’s many capabilities and value added services with regard to color, finish and design expertise, to prospective and current customers, as well as to Product Finishes internal selling teams.
Additional dimensions of this position include:
• Generates sales and profits by providing value-added services to external and internal customers.
• Impacts competitive edge over other paint companies and design firms offering similar services.
• Provides services related to color marketing and design initiatives in support of the Product Finishes overall marketing strategy.
• Increase productivity through the use of computer skills and new technology.
• Researches and implements cost effective solutions to benefit operations and continue competitive improvement.
• Enhances company image by producing high quality and high value professional services.
• Uses computer technology to continually identify opportunities for productivity improvement.
• Direct control of developing productive relationships with product designers.
• Direct control over the distribution of color tools and product information as well as other marketing materials to product design professionals.
• Direct control of planning and conducting educational seminars for product design professionals.
• Direct control of expenses relating to daily activities and special events with manager’s approval.
• Direct control of partnerships with Product Finishes marketing and selling teams, facilitating the exchange of sales leads.
• Minimum of 5 years related work experience
• Color and design experience in a home furnishing market and/or other industry
• Experience and background directly related to wood finishing
• Experience and knowledge of paints and coatings industry
• Bachelor's degree in design