This page will feature part time and full time job opportunities and a list of students seeking jobs as they are received
Immediate Opportunity for COLOR & DESIGN MANAGER
Position: Color and Design Manager
Location: Greensboro, NC
Position Type: Full time, perm
Apply - Send resumes to email@example.com or follow link and apply directly at https://sherwin.taleo.net/careersection/10/jobdetail.ftl?job=1700078Z&lang=en#.WRm5oUTzSGQ.link
Responsibilities of the Color and Design Manager include the following:
- Manage the color and design programs for the Product Finishes Division to achieve industry leadership in the focus markets served by the Global Color and Design Center. Develop and execute color and design marketing projects that support the field selling organization in growing sales.
- Manage the GCDC color and design center staff, studio, and related programs and projects.
- Actively target and develop relationships with furniture designers, kitchen cabinet designers and the design staff of other manufacturers served by the Product Finishes Division. Convert these design professionals to Sherwin-Williams colors and finishing systems, resulting in increased sales growth for the Division.
- Enhance the leadership position of Sherwin-Williams within the markets served by the GCDC with color design and marketing services, and selling tools.
- Work closely with the Color Marketing and Design Department of The Americas Group to stay abreast of national and global color and style trends. Interpret and apply these trends for the Product Finishes market segments, resulting in effective color and style guidance for the Product Finishes selling teams and customers.
- Work closely with the GCDC Color Stylist Technical Team to stay informed of new finishing styles and techniques and to jointly develop new color systems in response to broader industry trends.
- Maintain leading edge awareness and expertise of the color technologies and trends as they relate to the focus markets of the Product Finishes Division.
- Create and deliver color and design presentations for Product Finishes customers.
- Educate customers on color and design direction for their own particular focus market, including trends, new colors, techniques, substrates, new technologies and application processes that will help the customer be more competitive and gain market share.
- Make color palate assessments and recommendations for customers as requested.
- Work directly with product designers and manufacturers to create custom designed, state of the art colors and finish systems for products imported and manufactured globally and domestically using Sherwin-Williams technologies and coatings.
- Manage project prioritization and communication with the Product Finishes marketing and sales teams.
- Develop and manage the internal communication plan for the GCDC, including content for the Selling Resources Community on Connections, breakouts and booths at the National Sales Meeting, and training presentations for facility managers and sales reps.
- Coordinate with the Color Stylist Technical Team to develop finishing system trend panels and displays for the Residential Furniture Spring & Fall Markets as well as the Las Vegas Furniture Market twice yearly.
- Explain and demonstrate the GCDC’s many capabilities and value added services with regard to color, finish and design expertise, to prospective and current customers, as well as to Product Finishes internal selling teams.
Additional dimensions of this position include:
- Generates sales and profits by providing value-added services to external and internal customers.
- Impacts competitive edge over other paint companies and design firms offering similar services.
- Provides services related to color marketing and design initiatives in support of the Product Finishes overall marketing strategy.
- Increase productivity through the use of computer skills and new technology.
- Researches and implements cost effective solutions to benefit operations and continue competitive improvement.
- Enhances company image by producing high quality and high value professional services.
- Uses computer technology to continually identify opportunities for productivity improvement.
- Direct control of developing productive relationships with product designers.
- Direct control over the distribution of color tools and product information as well as other marketing materials to product design professionals.
- Direct control of planning and conducting educational seminars for product design professionals.
- Direct control of expenses relating to daily activities and special events with manager’s approval.
- Direct control of partnerships with Product Finishes marketing and selling teams, facilitating the exchange of sales leads.
- Minimum of 5 years related work experience
- Color and design experience in a home furnishing market and/or other industry
- Experience and background directly related to wood finishing
- Experience and knowledge of paints and coatings industry
- Bachelor's degree in design
Industrial Design Faculty
Department of Applied Design, Appalachian State University
POSITION Tenure-track, nine-month Assistant/Associate Position in the Department of Applied Design beginning August 2017.
SALARY Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications
RESPONSIBILITY Primary responsibilities will include developing and teaching courses upper and lower level studios, CAD classes, materials and processes courses, as well as, other support courses in the industrial design program area. Additional responsibilities will include advising students, recruiting, maintaining labs/materials, program development, providing instruction that fosters student’s success in their chosen area of study, as well as, participating actively in departmental governance and performing academic service to the university and college. Maintaining a high level of related scholarly/creative work is required.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Qualifications: A terminal degree in Industrial Design or a related field, potential for nationally recognized field related creative and/or scholarly research, and professional design experience. Preference may be given to candidates minimum 3 years teaching experience to college level majors.
THE DEPARTMENT The Department of Applied Design, offers three NASAD accredited undergraduate majors with nearly 400 students: Apparel Design and Merchandising, Industrial Design with concentrations in Furniture and Product Design and Interior Design. The department includes design studio, 10,000 square feet of prototyping studios, computer labs and designated class rooms.
The Industrial Design program challenges students through industry collaborations and studio projects to develop a comprehensive knowledge base and skill set to succeed professionally. Students work has been recognized in both national and international venues including SaloneSatellite® in Milan, Designboom® Mart Copenhagen, ICFF in New York, and Dwell® on Design in Los Angeles. Additionally, the program has recently conducted sponsored studios with Reebok, Wilsonart, Eastman Chemical, GroovyStuff Furniture, and Westrock Packaging. The program currently offers international experiences abroad in Prague and Paris. For more information, please visit our web page at: http://industrialdesign.appstate.edu/
THE UNIVERSITY Appalachian State University is a comprehensive state university with an enrollment of over 17,000. Appalachian is consistently recognized in such publications as U.S. News and World Report, Forbes, Kiplinger, and Sierra as one of the outstanding universities in the southeastern United States. The university stresses excellence in teaching and prides itself on an outstanding working relationship between student and professor. It has a wide variety of cultural and outdoor programs for the enjoyment of faculty, staff, and students.
THE COMMUNITY Boone, North Carolina is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Known for mountain views and beautiful scenery, the area is a common vacation and summer home destination. The 3,300-foot elevation makes for cool summers, spectacular fall scenery, and excellent outdoor recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION The initial application review will begin on February 20th, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Complete applications will include a letter of application addressing duties and qualifications; philosophy of teaching and research statement; current vitae; transcripts; and complete contact information of three professional references. A portfolio of professional design work and scholarly endeavors is required, and a portfolio of student work from classes your have taught is highly recommended. Electronic applications (single/combined PDF attachments only and under 9MB) will be accepted. Please indicate, “Industrial Design Position” in letter of application or subject line.
For more information contact:
Associate Professor of Industrial Design
Search Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Jeannie Davis
Administrative Support Specialist
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Immediate Positions Available for
Furniture Designers and Design Engineers
Heritage Home Group has 4 positions open for design engineers and designers in their contracts division. HHG is growing; the contracts group has done an enormous business and is adding positions as people have moved in to higher roles.
Below is the list of openings:
1 – Contract Design Engineer for Upholstery #7107 (1 Opening). Please see Contract Design Engineer Job Summary below.
2 – Contract Design Engineer for Case Goods #7108 (2 Openings). Please see Contract Design Engineer Job Summary below.
1 – Designer – Contracts #7195 (This role will be part of a succession plan. Knowledge will be shared and taught by an existing experienced individual.) (1 Opening). Please see Designer - Contract Job Summary below.
Please apply directly using HHG's career page. The job ID number for each of the positions is listed above for your convenience in applying on the link is listed below:
If you have issues with applying through the website listed above, you can email your resumes directly to:
Heritage Home Group
Contract Design Engineer
This position reporting to the Manager of Product Development, HHG Contract, is responsible for developing engineering information including full scale 3d models, bills of materials, part drawings, repair part sketches, and vendor specifications, from designer sketches and or designer details of furniture pieces. Specifications are to be developed through the use of 2d and 3d modeling software (Inventor 11).
- Draw, interpret, and execute designs. Need artistic ability and able to visualize in 3-D
- Experience with Auto Cad & freehand sketching furniture and accessories.
- Merchandising and competitive analysis a plus
- Confer with sales, design, and production for input
- Possible travel, including international, may be required.
- Develop modeled furniture details through the use of the 3d modeler Inventor and AutoCad
- Develop bills of materials supportive of the model and HHG standards.
- Develop shop tag sketches that communicate specifications to the manufacturing floor.
- Develop engineering specifications as need by suppliers such as hinges, electrical, urethane, polyester, and fancy face veneer drawings.
- Support the repair part program by developing sketches of all items showing parts that can be replaced.
- Play an active role in working through quality/engineering problems that develop.
- Work with production facilities to communicate engineering information/changes
- Provide support for Customer Service for both import and retail product.
- All functions should be performed with an emphasis on good cost control.
- All efforts done while reporting to the Manager of Product Development and supporting the product development process.
- Perform other duties as required or requested.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Design
- Must have 2d cad skills (3d modeling preferred)
- Proven experience conceptualizing, executing, and modifying designs.
- Experience working with Inventor 11 software desired
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Three years of furniture manufacturing experience with a good understanding of woodworking equipment and construction
Designer - Contract
Heritage Home Group’s Contract Division is seeking a Designer to bring out new product lines and work with customers to bring their concepts to manufacture. Working closely with both our internal manufacturing and international supply chain vendors will provide technical support needed to achieve the goals of Quality, Cost and Delivery of new products. The position is located in North Carolina and reports directly to the General Manager of Design and Engineering, Contract.
- Able to work with the Company’s Design team, Internal Manufacturing, Procurement Staff, Supplier Quality, Costing/Finance and other departments as well as the overseas vendor’s staff to communicate the technical requirements for the development of new products.
- Must be able to communicate clearly via email and telephone all necessary information that is required by our remotely located teams and the vendors such that their staff can understand and create new products to the company’s design and quality standards while achieving targeted cost.
- Must be able to work with customers to develop products that meet their design requirements and cost while also ensuring that manufacturing can meet these expectations in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Support Sales in the quoting process and address any variances to cost.
- Provide the purchasing team with information so they can accurately place orders for new product.
- Work with both internal costing and international quoting to achieve targeted cost.
- Provide direction and product information via product specification sheets and Auto-Cad drawings to vendors so that all design and engineering requirements are clear and fully understandable.
- Required to travel to customer sites, trade shows, and manufacturing facilities.
- Maintain a safe, healthy and positive work environment.
- May perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Education & Qualifications
- Degree in Furniture Design preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in new product development preferably in the furniture industry preferred.
- Solid understanding of manufacturing practices in the furniture industry.
- Must possess good communication skills, both written and verbal and possess the ability to deal with all levels of the corporation.
- Requires the ability to multi-task and establish priorities from the tasks/projects at hand.
- Should possess solid furniture related product knowledge.
- Prefer continuous improvement working knowledge.