The American Society of Furniture Designers
touching lives by design 2016 ASFD Scholarship
The ASFD Scholarship Committee and Board of Directors announce the third annual touching lives by design ASFD Scholarship to reward academic excellence in the major of Furniture Design. The award will provide $2500 to the scholarship winner.
Founded in 1981, ASFD is an international, non-profit professional organization dedicated to advancing, improving and supporting the profession of furniture design and its positive impact in the marketplace. Professional members specialize in the design of both residential and contract furnishings and accessories. Membership includes both American and International professional designers, industry affiliates and associates, design school professors and students. Corporate members include suppliers of products and services to the industry and furniture manufacturing companies who wish to support the goals and objectives of the society.
The mission of ASFD is to promote excellence, innovation, education and originality in furniture design. ASFD strives to serve as the unified voice of the furniture design community, advocating professional practice and integrity.
- The applicant must be a full time college sophomore or junior in good standing at the time of the application at an accredited college or university.
- Scholarship funds must be used for tuition at an accredited institution of higher learning by the date stated with the award of the scholarship.
- The applicant must have a major in a Furniture Design Program.
- Previous winners are eligible for a second award.
Judging is based primarily on the applicant’s academic performance as reflected in the college or university transcripts. Additional judging criteria include the applicant’s essay, related activities and recommendation letters. The Scholarship Committee will consist of a panel of individuals approved by ASFD’s Executive Committee.
- A complete application signed by the student with attachments mailed to ASFD
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. The applicant name is required on all attachments.
- An official school transcript, with the exception of the current semester, reflecting the GPA of the applicant Transcript Must be mailed by the college or university
- A one page essay of 300 to 500 words on why you have chosen Furniture Design as your career path
- 3 letters of recommendation, two from faculty members or professors and one personal. Each letter of recommendation must be signed and sent directly to ASFD by the person making the recommendation
- High resolution photo of the candidate (plain background please) for use in press releases
- These items must arrive at ASFD by March 21, 2016
Mailing Address: Fed Ex or UPS Address:
ASFD Scholarship Committee ASFD Scholarship Committee
PO Box 5445 4136 Coachmans Court
High Point, NC 27262 High Point, NC 27262
All ASFD Scholarship information may be found and downloaded from the ASFD website: www.asfd.com
Questions may be addressed to John Conrad, Executive Director: email@example.com